Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Time Flies!

Where does the time go? I haven't posted in 6+ weeks, not that many read the blog (my kids do - hi!) very often. It was summer the last time I posted! I had made a promise to myself that I'd post at least once a week; I so look forward to reading new posts on my favorite blogs and am sometimes disappointed if a blogger hasn't posted in a while. This is my busiest time at work and I'm mentally drained when I get home. It doesn't leave much time for being creative. Oh, how I wish I could work from my studio full-time - perhaps someday.
I have, however,  managed to fit a small amount of creativity into the last few weeks though! Saturday, October 6 is the reveal day for the Holiday Bling Blog Hop ornament swap hosted by both Shelley Graham Turner of The Fabric of My Life blog and Tori Sophia, and Marlene Cupo of the Amazing Designs blog. Well, this is right up my alley! My blog name is in large part due to the fact that I love handcrafted Christmas ornaments. I've been making them for my kids and giving them to family and friends for years.
 Gabi's original plaid skirt ornament.
When my youngest graduated from high school several years ago, each girl in her class received as part of her graduation present from the school an ornament that I designed. Gabrielle attended a small, all-girl Catholic high school and part of her uniform was a plaid skirt. This ended up being a group effort involving family and friends gathered around my dining room table working on a  project they hadn't signed up for. While there were only 59 girls in her class, I had bit off a bit more than I could chew. I had a plan and drew up a calendar - knew what I needed to do, broke it down into small pieces..... In the midst of this I had surgery. I thought I'd be physically able to do more than I ended up being able to do.
The production crew. You can't see the supportive husbands drinking beer in the living room! 
I was WAAAYYYY behind the 8-ball. I mentioned it to one of the moms, who rallied a couple of our friends, who brought several daughters along with my mom and oldest daughter. Each person had a task and each ornament was passed from person to person to complete each assigned task. It was wonderful! At the end, each girl had a very special, unique ornament to remember her high school years with.
Why are there 3 additional, different ornaments? Gabrielle already had a skirt, blouse and lion face so I made her a mortar board. Another friend had a skirt and blouse so she got a lion face and a third had a skirt already so she received a blouse.
Sneak peak of the ornament I've sent to Heather
For this swap I have been paired with the lovely Heather Otto of The Craft Hopper blog and Mama's Craft Room. I so hope she likes her ornament, sent with love all the way from the crisp fall air of Maine to the still very warm state of Texas! Heather describes herself as having CAADHD - Crafty Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - whelp, that about sums me up. I haven't met a craft I didn't like! I have the materials to do a good many things I haven't attempted yet. I can't even list them for you because it's so embarrassing. I need to win the lottery so I can stay home full-time again and just create. I feel like Heather and I are kindred spirits - we are both married to Tims, I too stayed home with my kids when they were young, we both have a bunch of kids close in age (I managed to fit one more into the mix), and we both love to dabble. So, stop back on October 6 for the reveal! I've received my ornament from Heather and I'm blown away at the artistry and craftsmanship. As many ornaments as I've made and gifted, I've never had an ornament made just for me. It is so lovely I just want to cry!

I'll have to write and schedule my post because I'll be at my first ever art retreat, Art Is...You in Stamford, CT! I am so excited I can't stand it!!
Photo and earrings by Diana Ptaszynski
Following all that excitement is the Mismatched Earring Swap reveal on October 16 hosted by the ever lovely Diana Ptaszynski of  Suburban Girl Beads and Suburban Girl Studio. This was a challenge on multiple levels. Not only have I never made a truly mismatched pair of earrings, but I am paired with Lesley Watt of Thea too  her handcrafted metal clay jewelry component shop and THEA jewellery her artisan jewelry shop. Lesley is one seriously talented woman. She is an amazing jewelry designer, it's a bit daunting. Each earring must contain at least one art bead. I made mine, again daunting. I so hope she likes the earrings I've sent to her. Gabrielle liked them (and wanted them) so that's a plus in my corner! Please be sure to check back on October 16th for the reveal!
Sneak peak of the earrings I've sent to Lesley
Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! I certainly appreciate your kind words!