Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Challenge of Music - Blog Hop

Join the Challenge of Music
The lovely Miss Erin Prais-Hintz of Tesori Trovati is hosting the Challenge of Music blog hop today. Erin is hosting quarterly design challenges for anyone who is looking for a jewelry design challenge. Boy did my piece challenge me, and not in a good way. Erin wrote this as part of her introduction to the challenge: "What song do you connect to so personally that every time it comes on the radio the beat moves you, the lyrics speak to your soul, and the harmonies make your heart sing? If you love music, this is the challenge for you! For the Challenge of Music, we will choose a song that speaks to each of us personally and translate that song into an accessory."

I love country music. There was a day, about 30ish years ago when I detested it. My husband is a plumber. He's a Project Manager now and oversees men out in the field, but back in the day he worked on commercial construction sites. They were either blaring head-banging metal music or country music. It seemed that every time I got into his truck or into my car after he used it, country music was on the radio. I immediately switched to my favorite top 40 station. However, after a period of time I would find myself switching to the country station (but if it was good weather and the windows were down - it was back to the top 40 when I'd hit a red light. Heaven forbid anyone would think I was listening to country!). Now, country is just about all I listen to. I do have a peripheral knowledge of what's going on in other genres from hearing my kids' music, and I switch it up every now and then. Country, however, has my heart. First (at almost 50), I understand the lyrics! Second, and most importantly - it speaks to my heart and soul. It's about real life. I love it.

The song I chose for the challenge was a no-brainer for me. I chose Live Like You Were Dying by Tim McGraw (lyrics here). This song came out in August of 2004. We lost our beautiful son T.J., our oldest, in May of 2004 - Mother's Day to be exact. You can read more about T.J. if you'd like to here. Here's the official video for the song:
 "I was in my early 40's with a lot of life before me when a moment came that stopped me on a dime. I spent most of the next days looking a the x-rays, talking about options, talking about sweet time." I know these lyrics by heart and don't need to look them up. I was 42 when T.J. was injured; we spent days in the SCU (special care unit) with T.J. in a coma, with nineteen connections to different machines. He was taken for multiple x-rays, CAT scans, etc. We sat as a family and talked, and talked. Several years after T.J.'s death I was asked to speak as part of a presentation on teen death. My speech talks about the surviving family's perspective. It's something that teens don't think about when engaging in risky behavior. To be clear, T.J. didn't engage in risky behavior when he died, he was at work. I've given that speech several times now over the years. I begin my talk with these lines from the song. It's very powerful and life-changing for the students.

The video for this song is predominantly white, with Tim barefoot wearing jeans, a white shirt and a black cowboy hat. I wanted to capture that in my piece; easier to picture in my mind than create. I'm disappointed in how it turned out - in my head and with my original bead selection it came out much better. Now, there is a funny story that goes along with this as well. I'll write more about that below. So, without further adoo here is my piece inspired by Tim McGraw's Live Like You Were Dying (please excuse the pictures, I don't have the patience at the moment to edit):
So, really what I wanted was a two strand bracelet, with the strands separate from one another. I ended up with it still two stranded, but the strands are threaded through the sea glass on sterling silver SoftFlex. Why you ask? Well, I drilled the clear frosted sea glass chips and intended that strand to be separated by black seed beads. The second strand was going to be made of these lovely denim blue lucite heishi with a little bit of amethyst swirled through them, separated by Czech glass fire-polished rounds in a clear/amethyst/blue. However, in a bracelet the size of the lucite heishi and the sea glass chips separated the strands in a very awkward way. I think it would have worked in a necklace, just not the bracelet.
The focal I made from a SLK bezel filled with a picture I took at the beach of mussel shells that looks like a heart and sealed with ICE Resin (this caused me fits - I had a resin disaster on my hands last weekend - my fault). T.J. was an organ donor and his heart still beats keeping someone else alive and healthy. There is a piece of the inside of a mussel shell embeded on the reverse side (I forgot to take a picture of it). The exterior of the mussel shells are a bluish and the interior has that little bit of amethyst to it, like MOP.
This little charm is a Green Girl Studios charm that I bought at a bead show about 6 or 7 years ago. It is heart shaped and there is a daffodil on one side (you can see it in the first picture) and on the back is carved "Think of Me", fitting I think for remembering T.J. T would have been 27 yesterday (another reason it was a difficult week), he lives on in our hearts every minute of every day. Now, part of why I struggled with this piece was the construction, part because this is a difficult time of year for me and part (because I'm ready to move this post on to funny) is because of this:
This is Daisy. Daisy likes to lay on top of anything that is in this spot. The above picture happens to be of my daughter's art project. The other morning it was my beading board and three bead storage containers (with their lids off - do you see where this is going?).
6 a.m. crash, bang, boom and bellowing from my husband. This picture does not begin to encompass the true disaster. Three containers people - all of my sterling silver components (beads, crimps, clasps, earrings, bead caps, etc.) and some base metal findings. I'm not sure I can readily identify which are sterling and which are base metal, other than the fact that most of it is sterling. And prices? They were on little scraps of paper in each divided section - it's like confetti on the floor. Two of the containers had been picked up in this picture. The debris was EVERYWHERE in my dining room!
I had no spark left to work through the design issues with the bracelet after this. Yep, the bead board with the bracelet and all its components ended up on the floor too. It'll take me a flippin' year to sort it all out..... Anyhoo, hop along on this blog challenge. The participants are listed below. Thanks for visiting! Love deeper, Speak sweeter, Give forgiveness you've been denying.....

28 comments:

  1. Lori, where to start...! I love how you pieced your necklace with such a song that means a lot to you. I read about T.J yesterday on your post...I felt saddened to hear you and your family had to go through such a tragic time. How wonderful that his passing gave life to others...that must give you some comfort when moments are difficult. As for that cat...!! She is a terror...is there something you can put there to 'repel' her from the area? I love what you did with the focal and the beach glass by the way...a really lovely combination.
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted my comment...but blogger sent it to your post dated February 28....hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck sorting - a glass of wine and a marathon of your favorite TV show should help :-) I like your bracelet - especially the focal you made - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your post. I'm sure this really was a challenge for you. So difficult to make a piece that contains the essence of a soul. I think you really captured it in your design. The focal caught my eye at once - now I know why. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This song also has meaning for me but I will also always think of you and TJ when I hear it now. I would so hug you if I could. Wear your bracelet with the loved you filled it with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sweetie, I have tears in my eyes. I love the song you chose, which has so much meaning to you and your family. And I love the piece you made for the challenge. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful and aching post. The elements in your bracelet and your song and your son all coming together at such a time of deep reflection...I hope it was helpful to make something beautiful to wear on your skin. Music really does help us mourn and heal as much as we can. I read your post about TJ. Organ donation seems like a natural thing to do when faced with tragedy. Something good out of something that doesn't make sense.
    And your cat...I had to laugh, because that is so every day even when when we don't feel like being dragged into everyday living!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori, I too am a big fan of country music, after years of denying being such. Tim speaks to his fans on a very elemental level in so many of his songs...and this one is his best, I think. If you think of this bracelet as a fail, please don't - it's lovely! That resin bezel is just amazing. As to your week and it's memories, I can't imagine going through what you've had to go through. Know my thoughts are with you.

    And I feel for you with the kitty mess, it's happened a time or twenty here too. You'd think we'd learn to cat proof, wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the charm, and your cat looks SO much like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post and lovely design. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, I'm done with the tissue..sniffle. Thank you for sharing your story. Though sad, it is reassuring to know that his heart beats on. And that you are able to move on somewhat, without ever leaving him behind. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing your story. And don't be disappointed in your bracelet. It is lovely and has so much meaning.

    Oh yeah on cats. One of the huge selling points for the house we are buying is that I now have a studio with a door that closes. I don't even want to count the times that a cat 'helped' me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. *sniffles* Thank you for sharing such a big part of you, you are so brave! That song is one of my favorites, I think it is so incredibly beautiful, and your piece I think captures its spirit very well. Don't be disappointed, be proud. I am certain your son would be. And I'm so sorry about your cat :( what a naughty beast ;) I hope it all cleans up far easier than you thought it would!! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing your story during difficult anniversary for you and your family. The bracelet os lovely to the eye, and equally lovely for the meaning you have imbued in every bead. Wear it with love and memories...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no! So sorry for the mess! This is just awful! I hope you're able to get it cleared up.
    I love your choice of song, it's one of those songs that will always be relevant no matter how old it gets and it will always hold memories for each individual that hears it. I know it means a lot to you, thank you for sharing a part of your heart with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so incredibly beautiful! Thank you for sharing the story of your son and your connection to this song. It's really inspired me today in a huge way. The choice of the mussel photo and Green Girl's message on the heart is just precious. Blessings to you and your loved ones...xoxo Beth

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Lori, I am so sorry for the loss of your son. I have three sons and I can't imagine how I would handle the loss of any of them. Prayers and strength for you and your family. Kudos to you for being a family of organ donors. I can imagine that to be such a wonderful way to honor the one who has passed and help many others, something good out of something awful.

    Your bracelet is an inspiration. The heart of muscle shells is awesome!! So very clever of you. I love this Tim McGraw song too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh, lori, i'm so sorry you've had to survive the death of your son. there are no words to describe the bitterness. and then your tribute to him fell through! wow. bitter. but i want you to know that that focal is beautiful. and you can always finish it later, right? if you're still displeased. and that cat! oooh, dear. my cat climbs up in my lap in the evenings, whether or not i'm beading. so i know your pain. still, i've never had a spill that's that bad. i'm so sorry. oh, and *thank you* for donating tj's organs. he lives on through your sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow - I am so sorry for your loss. I can't fathom what it would be like to lose a child. You speak so lovingly and strongly about him, and it is obvious that he was loved and is missed. You couldn't have chosen a better song to pay tribute to TJ. My best friend died in 2004 at age 36 from a heart attack, and her 11 year old son sang this song at her service. It was beautiful, and the words are so inspiring. Thank you for sharing your story.

    Your bracelet is lovely - I especially like the resin focal with the mussel shell that looks like a heart. Very creative - great job!

    :) Molly

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I can't even imagine what it feels like to have to go through that. It's a beautiful song about life and death, eternity and time too short.

    You might not be entirely pleased with the result, but I think it looks pretty. Love the shell focal. You say heart, but I see wings (or a butterfly). Guess both interpretations are very appropriate for the theme.

    Oh, naughty Daisy! We've got a whole bunch of cats so I know the feeling (and the sound). Really drains your energy, once it even drove me to tears. Some of my prettiest beads have been chipped because of a curious cat and I'm still missing my tin thread and rhinestone chain that the kittens stole. Fingers crossed it won't be too arduous to sort. But cats are cats. Wouldn't trade them for anything in the world (even if the thought begins to feel tempting when something like that happens)!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Miss Lori-
    There are no words to express my sadness for the loss of this special young man. He is beautiful. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes for the story that you told of the meaning in each bead. You may not be happy with how it turned out but it is beautiful. It is heart felt. It is a loving tribute. Anyone can see that.

    We never know how our lives will go, who we will touch. I am so uplifted that your lovely son was an organ donor. To know that his heart lives on in someone else, to give them a second chance at life or to restore sight... that is the ultimate gift.

    I had the good fortune to see Tim McGraw sing that song live. It was a powerful performance and there was not a dry eye in that stadium. It is a beautiful reminder that we have this one life to live and we need to live it to the fullest.

    That Daisy! Naughty kitty! Sorry that you will have a chore of sorting components. I did that with a tray like that of jump rings, head pins and trigger clasps. Ugh.

    Thank you so much for persisting through to the end of this challenge, Miss Lori. I am honored that you were able to share this personal story and your beautiful bracelet.

    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  22. P.S. I am an organ donor on my license. I think that it is so very important!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is a wonderful song and I seem to always have tears in my eyes when I hear it. I cannot even begin to say how sorry I am for your loss.

    The bracelet is very lovely. I love the glass beads and the focal. They all work well together.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the bracelet you made. I am sorry for the mess. I have a 2 year old and bead at the dining room table, I feel your pain. She dropped my Vintaj case of findings and a big tray of glass beads which did not fair too well. She's quickly learning to clean up ;-) Too bad cats have no thumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing your design process, and the touching story behind it. I think one of the things I love about blog hops is getting to know some new people along the way. I can feel your strength in your post, and already know I will read your blog again:) I am also a fan of sea glass, and I really like how you used it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I cried ... I laughed ... I cried some more. Thank you for sharing such a meaningful song along with your personal story of love, life and loss. Your necklace is beautiful, your son is beautiful and you are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I listened to the song and I read your post, now I am trying to comment through the tears welling in my eyes. I think your bracelet is beautiful and I love the meaning behind it. TJ's body may be gone, but he lives on in your mind, heart, and soul. I had an incident similar to your cat incident, but on a much higher scale involving 3 cats and two dogs. Let's just say I was sucking up seed beads for month afterwards.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an incredibly touching story. And what a lovely, eloquently simple bracelet that has so much symbolism in it. Thank you for sharing your memories and your creation with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! I certainly appreciate your kind words!